Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Interview review: Important reminders for panel interviews

I’m Larry Polhill, and I’m living out a happy, quiet retirement. Aside from pursuing hobbies I never got to pursue back when I was working, I still take the time to help people with their job applications. It’s always been a passion of mine and I may very well be doing it until I can’t do it anymore.

Image source: gentlemansgazette.com
For today, I want to go back and talk about one of the topics I used to give lectures about – effective panel interviews. Yes, panel interviews can be very daunting especially for people who are going through it for the first time. There are things that have to be consciously avoided as well as things that need to be prepped beforehand.

Image source: careerdreaming.com
Let’s start with the things you shouldn’t be doing, or what I like to call the Larry Polhill no-nos. First off, being nervous is natural which is why you need to control small movements like playing with your pen or scratching your arm. Your body language may be enough to tell interviewers that you’re not ready for the job. Sit up straight and avoid slouching.

As for the things you have to do, you can start with greeting everyone when you enter the room. But if you’re the first person in the room, waiting for your interviewers, stand up immediately once they enter the room and greet them. Use a firm handshake. Try looking comfortable, but not too comfortable – this will make you appear confident and formidable. Take a few seconds before answering questions, and don’t act too eager.

As you can see, I put a heavy value on demeanor during interviews and especially during panel interviews.

Is there anything else you can add that can help people during panel interviews? Feel free to share them with us below.

Hi there! I’m Larry Polhill, a retired career consultant from Arizona. I give advice to people looking to land a job. Visit this page to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are bullet points necessarily bad for your résumé?

Bullet points in a résumé -- Larry Polhill Cafe Valley It’s quite common among job applicants to use paragraphs when preparing their résum...